Cyclists and motorcyclists risk being a victim of dooring every time they use the Toronto roads. Put simply, dooring is when a cyclist or motorcyclist is hit by a driver who fails to check their surroundings before opening their vehicle door. The actions of other drivers are difficult to predict, and your accident is likely due to no fault of your own. Follow along to learn about the injuries that come with a dooring accident and how a proficient Toronto motorcycle accident lawyer of Merricks Law Group can work on your behalf in filing a personal injury claim.
What are injuries commonly associated with dooring accidents?
The injuries tied to dooring accidents can be severe if not fatal. Below is a comprehensive list of injuries that are commonly incurred by cyclists and motorcyclists.
- Deep cuts or tears in the skin.
- Fractured, dislocated, or sprained bones.
- Internal bleeding or organ damage.
- Traumatic brain injury.
- Spinal cord injury.
What if I am involved in a dooring accident?
Dooring injuries can be quite severe because cyclists and motorcyclists have far less physical protection than other motorists on the road. This is why, if you were made a victim of a dooring accident, you must fight for the monetary compensation you require to heal. To make this possible, you must take the following approach immediately after your accident:
- Call 911: a law enforcement officer will arrive on the scene, conduct an official police report, and call for medical attention on your behalf.
- Document the scene: take photos and videos of your injuries, your bicycle/motorcycle damages, and the car door that contributed to your accident.
- Collect contact information: ask for the contact details of the driver (i.e., name, phone number, email address, license plate number, driver’s license number, insurance company name, insurance policy number), along with any passengers and witnesses that are present.
- Seek medical attention: do so even if your injuries are not immediately apparent, and schedule follow-up appointments with a physician.
- Hire a talented Toronto auto accident lawyer: ask for our help with obtaining additional evidence to satisfy your burden of proof, such as surveillance camera footage.
What is the deadline for a dooring accident claim in Toronto?
It is common for bicyclists and motorcyclists who are involved in a dooring accident to see if their injuries heal on their own before taking legal action against the negligent driver. However, our firm advises against doing so. This is because there is a deadline, or a statute of limitation, for filing a personal injury claim in Toronto. Specifically, you only have two years from the date of your accident to sue. To avoid being permanently barred from suing, call our firm today.
Contact Our Experienced Toronto Personal Injury Firm
If you have been injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, contact a Toronto Personal Injury Lawyer at Merricks Law Group today.