Fortunately, many of us go our entire lives without ever sustaining a serious injury as a result of another person’s negligence, however, many of us are not so lucky, and if you are someone who was recently injured due to unsafe property conditions, you should strongly consider speaking with a knowledgeable Toronto slip and fall lawyer who has handled countless premises liability cases in the past. You should not have to financially, as well as physically, suffer because of the negligence of another party, and with Merricks Law Group on your side, you may not have to. Contact our firm to schedule your free initial consultation today.
Toronto Slip and Fall Lawyer | Fighting for You Right to Heal
If you’ve been injured in Toronto, it is critical that you hire an Ontario personal injury lawyer who is well-versed in Toronto’s premises liability laws. Our firm can effectively analyze the circumstances of your case and determine the best strategy going forward on your behalf.
Our Legal Services
Our firm proudly represents accident victims who’ve sustained injuries in the following types of accidents:
- Airport Accidents: Though most people are more afraid of the flight than the airport itself, when airport staff is not vigilant in ensuring that airport conditions are entirely safe for all those in the airport, serious accidents can occur as a result. This is unacceptable.
- Parking Lot Accidents: Parking lots are frequently the sites of serious accidents, as they are often packed with high concentrations of people. If you were injured in a parking lot accident as a result of unsafe parking lot conditions, you mustn’t hesitate to consider your legal options going forward.
- Restaurant Accidents: Generally speaking, the worst thing we can imagine happening in a restaurant is eating a bad meal. However, some people are even less fortunate and will actually sustain serious injuries in a restaurant. Oftentimes, restaurant ownership or staff can be held liable in the event of a restaurant accident.
- Sidewalk Accidents: While walking down the street, you are most likely aware of your surroundings at all times. However, sometimes, this is not enough, and if you were injured in a sidewalk accident as a result of unsafe sidewalk conditions, you should strongly consider hiring a knowledgeable Ontario personal injury lawyer who can work to fight for the compensation you deserve and need to heal.
- Supermarket Accidents: Supermarkets are seldom regarded as particularly dangerous places, though as you may know, accidents can happen virtually anywhere, and if you were injured while simply shopping for groceries because of unsafe supermarket conditions, you may have a valid personal injury claim.
- Stairway Accidents: Stairways are frequently claustrophobic, dimly-lit, and poorly maintained, and if you were injured in a slip or trip and fall in a stairway accident, our Toronto personal injury lawyers are here to help fight for your right to compensation.
Proving Your Premises Liability Claim
To win a premises liability claim after being harmed in a slip and fall accident, you must prove several things. First, you must prove that the property owner either knew or should have known about the unsafe property conditions. You must then prove that the property owner failed to remove, clear away, or fix the unsafe conditions timely. You and your Toronto personal injury lawyer must then demonstrate that you were directly injured as a result of the property owner’s failure to take the necessary actions to ensure a safe premises, and that you incurred significant damages as a result.
There are two types of damages that you may recover compensation for — economic damages and non-pecuniary damages. Economic damages deal with the financial cost of an injury (medical bills, lost wages, etc.) while non-pecuniary damages deal with the intangible damages associated with an injury, such as emotional distress, disfigurement, the loss of enjoyment of life, and more. Economic damages are unlimited, in the sense that there is no limit to the dollar amount that you may recover for your injury. On the other hand, non-pecuniary damages currently have a cap at around $400,000.
Statute of Limitations for Slip and Fall Accident Claims in Ontario
Ontario has a statute of limitations in place when it comes to premises liability claims. The statute of limitations for slip and fall accident claims in Ontario is, generally, two years, which only gives you two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the party responsible for your injuries. That being said, if you were injured on property owned by the government or a municipality, you will have to file a Notice of Claim in a few as ten days from the date of your accident, and if you fail to do so, you may permanently relinquish your right to sue. The sooner you speak with our firm, the sooner we can begin working on your claim.
Contact a Toronto Slip and Fall Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents can put a person’s life on hold. The bottom line is that if you’ve been injured as a result of a negligent property owner, you should not have to pay the cost of your recovery on your own. We realize that this is a difficult time, and our personal injury lawyers are here to provide you with the personalized attention you deserve through every step of the legal process ahead. Contact Merricks Law Group to schedule your free initial consultation with our firm today.