There is nothing more painful than hearing news that your loved one has lost his or her life, especially because of the carelessness of another person. Unfortunately, this is something that happens quite often here in Canada, and if your loved one has recently lost his or her life as a result of another party’s negligence, our Toronto wrongful death lawyer is here to help. Continue reading and contact Merricks Law Group to learn more about how our firm can guide you through every step of the claims process ahead.
Toronto Wrongful Death Lawyer | Working to Attain the Justice You Deserve
Our Ontario personal injury lawyers understand that there is nothing worse than prematurely losing a loved one as a result of another party’s negligence, and we are dedicated to providing you with the compassionate legal guidance you deserve during this difficult time. Of course, any amount of financial compensation simply cannot replace a loved one’s presence in your life, but attaining this compensation can help families and individuals cope with the loss of a loved one, knowing justice has been served.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Ontario?
Not all those who’ve been affected by the wrongful death of a loved one can obtain financial compensation for that person’s wrongful death. However, if you are the spouse, parent, child, grandchild, grandparent, or sibling of someone who suffered a wrongful death, you may file a wrongful death claim if you can prove:
- That the decedent lost his or her life due to another party’s negligence
- That the decedent lost his or her life under circumstances wherein he or she would have been entitled to financial compensation had he or she not lost his or her life
- That you, the decedent’s family member, suffered damages of your own due to the wrongful death of your loved one
Recovering Compensation for a Wrongful Death Case in Toronto
If your loved one recently lost his or her life as a direct result of another party’s negligence, you should recover a wide array of damages in a wrongful death claim, including the following:
- Funeral expenses
- The cost of medical care given to your loved one before passing away
- The cost of lost wages that your loved one would have provided to your family
- The cost of travel to visit your loved one while he or she was receiving medical care before passing away
- The loss of care, companionship, and guidance your loved one provided
- Increased expenses incurred as a result of your loved one passing away
Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Death Cases in Ontario
The statute of limitations for wrongful death claims in Ontario is, generally, two years, meaning you will, generally, have two years from the date of death to take legal action against the party responsible. However, if your loved one wrongfully lost his or her life in a municipality in Ontario, you will have far less time to file a Notice of Claim, which is why you should speak with a compassionate Toronto wrongful death lawyer at Merricks Law Group as soon as you can.
Contact Our Toronto Wrongful Death Lawyer
We understand that after losing a loved one, there is nothing you’d rather focus on more than healing, which is why our firm is here to make the legal process move along as smoothly as possible as we pursue the financial compensation that you and your family deserve. Contact Merricks Law Group to schedule your initial consultation today.