Hotels are meant for rest and relaxation. The potential for an accident should not have to cross your mind when checking in. However, hotel accidents are unfortunately more common than you might think.
If you have been injured in a hotel accident due to no fault of your own, you are likely eligible to recover compensation by filing a personal injury claim. To learn more about this process and the steps you can take to increase your chances of filing a valid claim, continue reading and contact our Toronto slip and fall lawyer.
What are the most common causes of hotel accidents?
The most common causes and types of hotel accidents are as follows:
- Stairway accidents
- Elevator accidents
- Sidewalk accidents
- Escalator accidents
- Hot tub accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Unsanitary conditions
- Parking garage accidents
- Food poisoning
- Defective furniture accidents
- Gym equipment accidents
- Accidents due to inadequate lighting
- Accidents due to inadequate security
What steps should I take after being injured in a hotel accident?
It is important to have a plan after you have been injured in a hotel accident. Take the following steps immediately after your accident to increase your chances of filing a successful personal injury claim in the future:
- Alert the authorities. The police should file a police report to document the accident. They will also bring medical attention to the scene.
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- Collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment that state the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- You should also alert the management of the hotel so that they can file an incident report.
- If there were any witnesses to your accident, collect their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your claim.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of your accident. This should include photos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident.
- Retain the services of an experienced Ontario personal injury lawyer. A lawyer will be able to collect further evidence of your accident to support your claim. This may include surveillance footage of your accident as it happened.
What is the statute of limitations for hotel accidents claims in Toronto?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Toronto is generally two years. This means that you will have two years from the date of your hotel accident to file your personal injury claim. This timeframe is important to note because if you fail to file your claim within two years, you may risk being permanently time-barred from suing. To avoid this and to get started as soon as possible, contact our Ontario personal injury lawyer today.
Contact Our Experienced Toronto Personal Injury Firm
If you have been injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, you deserve a lawyer who cares about your best interests. Contact a Toronto Personal Injury Lawyer at Merricks Law Group today.