Believe it or not, department store accidents occur much more than you might think. They can also lead to severe injuries that may impact individuals for years to come. You are likely looking to file a personal injury claim if you have been injured in a department store accident. For assistance with your claim, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced Toronto slip and fall lawyer. Here are some questions you may have after your accident:
What are the most common causes of department store accidents?
The following are the most common factors to play a part in department store accidents, many of which are forms of negligence by department store staff and management:
- Merchandise falling from shelves
- Spills left unattended
- Broken glass
- Defective elevators or escalators
- Poorly placed floor mats
What steps should I take after being injured in a department store accident?
If you have been injured in a department store accident, it is important to have a plan. Take the following steps immediately following your accident to protect yourself and to set yourself up for a successful claim in the future:
- Alert the store owner of your accident so that they can file a report of the incident.
- Alert the authorities. The police should bring medical assistance to the scene and document the accident by conducting a police report.
- As soon as medical assistance arrives, seek immediate medical treatment.
- Collect all medical documents relating to your treatment.
- Take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident. Also, photograph your injuries.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information including their name, phone number, and email address.
- Retain the services of our experienced Toronto slip and fall lawyer.
What is the statute of limitations for department store accidents in Toronto?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims after a department store accident is generally two years in Toronto. This means that you will have two years from the date of your accident to bring attention to your personal injury claim. It is important to understand that if you fail to file your claim within this timeframe, you could risk being barred from taking legal action. The sooner you can file, the better. To get started as soon as possible, do not hesitate to reach out to our Toronto slip and fall lawyer who will walk you through the process ahead. Our legal team is prepared to fight for your right to compensation. Give us a call to schedule your initial consultation today.