If you have recently been involved in an auto accident and have suffered injuries as a passenger in the vehicle, it is time to reach out to an experienced personal injury lawyer who will fight to recover the compensation you deserve. Continue reading to discover the steps to take following an accident that will set you up for a successful personal injury claim. Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm to learn more about our services and how we can assist your upcoming case.
What steps should I take following being injured as a passenger in an accident?
It is important to document the facts of the incident as best you can after being injured in an auto accident as a passenger. Take the following steps to protect yourself and set yourself up for a successful future personal injury claim:
- Alert the authorities. The police will document the accident by conducting a report. They should also bring an ambulance to the scene.
- Seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
- Collect all medical documents relating to your injuries that include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Collect the contact information of any witnesses
- Take photos of your injuries.
- Photograph the scene of the accident.
- Collect both driver’s insurance information.
- Retain the services of an experienced Toronto personal injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require.
Recovering Damages as a Passenger
You will take legal action against the negligent driver’s insurance company with the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer. Your lawyer will work to recover both economical and non-economical damages. This should cover the emotional, physical, and financial burdens that were caused by the accident.
Non-economical damages are as follows:
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of independence
Economical damages include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages & lost future wages
- Medical equipment
- Outside assistance
What is the statute of limitations for auto accident claims in Toronto?
The statute of limitations for auto accident claims in Toronto is generally two years. This means that you will have two years to take legal action against the negligent party responsible for your accident. Failure to do so may result in you being barred from suing. To take action as soon as possible, reach out to our experienced personal injury lawyer. We are prepared to take on your case today. Our legal team will work to satisfy the burden of proof necessary to recover the compensation you require to heal.