Truck accidents can cause devastating injuries, if not death. They are some of the most dangerous auto accidents our roads will witness. If you have recently been injured in a truck accident, it is essential to have a plan. Continue reading to discover the steps you should take following a truck accident to protect yourself and your future. Plus, learn the ways you can take legal action to recover the compensation you require to heal. Reach out to our experienced Toronto personal injury lawyer today to discuss our services and learn how we can assist your upcoming personal injury claim.
What are the most common causes of truck accidents in Toronto?
Truck driver negligence is the most common cause of truck accidents in Toronto. The following are the most common negligent actions seen behind the wheel that lead to truck accidents:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Driving while fatigued
- Neglecting large blind spots
It is also possible for truck employers to be responsible for truck accidents partly due to failure to ensure their drivers are certified or conducting company affairs in a way that may endanger the safety of others. Truck company employees can also be responsible for truck accidents by neglecting to maintain a truck or simply loading the truck improperly.
What should I do after being injured in a truck accident?
Having a plan can make an incredible difference in the outcome of your accident. Follow each of the below steps to protect yourself and your future:
- Call the police. They will document the accident by conducting a police report. They will also bring an ambulance to arrive on the scene.
- While you wait for the police and ambulance to arrive, collect the other party’s insurance information.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information.
- Take photos or videos of the scene to document the damage to the vehicles as well as your injuries.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Once you have been treated, collect all medical documentation relating to the accident.
- Retain the services of an experienced Toronto personal injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to collect the compensation you deserve.
What is the statute of limitations for auto accident personal injury claims in Toronto?
In Toronto, the statute of limitations for auto accident personal injury claims is generally two years. This means that you must take legal action within this amount of time from the date of your accident to avoid being barred from suing. Reach out to our knowledgeable personal injury lawyer today to get started as soon as possible. We are here to help.
Contact Our Experienced Toronto Personal Injury Firm
If you have been injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, you need a lawyer who truly cares about your best interests. Contact a Toronto Personal Injury Lawyer at Merricks Law Group today.