If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in Toronto, you may be seeking financial compensation for your damages. Continue reading and reach out to our experienced personal injury lawyer today to learn how we can assist you with your personal injury claim. Give our firm a call to learn more about our services.
What are the most common causes of bicycle accidents in Toronto?
The most common causes of bicycle accidents are typically forms of motorist negligence:
- Failing to yield
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe lane changes
- Driving while fatigued
- Smoking or eating while driving
- Navigating directions while driving
- Disciplining raucous children while driving
- Texting while driving
- Not checking blind spots
- Ignoring traffic signs and lights
- Failing to comply with other rules and regulations of the road
What should I do following a bicycle accident?
Take the following steps after being injured in a bicycle accident while you are still on the scene of your accident:
- Alert the authorities. The police will bring medical assistance to the scene and conduct a police report to document your accident. They can also help redirect traffic if necessary.
- While you wait for the ambulance to arrive, if you can, take photos and videos of the scene of your accident including damage and hazards that played a part in your accident.
- If there were any witnesses to your accident, collect their contact information including their name, number, and email address.
- When medical assistance arrives at the scene, seek medical treatment immediately, even if you do not feel symptoms of an injury right away.
- Collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment. These documents should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to heal and move on with your life.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury bicycle accident claims in Toronto?
The statute of limitations refers to the period of time you will have from the date of your accident to file your personal injury claim. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Toronto is two years. If you fail to bring attention to your claim within this period of time, you may risk being permanently barred from suing. To get started as soon as possible, reach out to our experienced personal injury lawyer. We are prepared to take on your case today.
Contact Our Experienced Toronto Personal Injury Firm
If you have been injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, you need a lawyer who truly cares about your best interests. Contact a Toronto Personal Injury Lawyer at Merricks Law Group today.