If you have been injured in an apartment accident due to the negligence of your landlord, continue reading to learn the steps you should take after you have been injured in an apartment accident. If you are looking to recover compensation for your damages, give our experienced personal injury lawyer a call.
What are the most common causes of apartment accidents in Toronto?
Apartment accidents are typically caused by forms of negligence. The following are the most common causes of apartment accidents in Toronto:
- Failure to install smoke alarms
- Unsafe apartment sidewalks
- Failure to install carbon monoxide detectors
- Failure to ensure stairways are safe
- Poorly lit parking lots
- Failing to remove snow, ice, or other weather-related hazards
What should I do following an apartment accident?
Consider taking the following steps after being injured in an apartment accident to protect yourself and to set yourself up for a successful personal injury claim, should you chose to take legal action in the future:
- Call the authorities and seek medical treatment immediately. The police will also be able to document the accident by conducting a police report.
- Once you have been treated for your injuries, it is important that you collect the medical documentation relating to your treatment. These documents should state the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Notify your landlord of your accident immediately.
- Take photos of the hazards that led to your accident.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information who saw your accident happen.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof. They will also help you to recover further evidence to support your claim such as surveillance footage of your accident as it happened.
How long will I have to take legal action against my landlord after an apartment accident in Toronto?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Toronto is two years. This means that you will have two years from the date of your apartment accident to bring attention to your personal injury claim. It is important that you file your claim within this period of time to avoid being permanently time-barred from suing. The sooner you bring attention to your claim, the better. To get started with this process, reach out to our experienced personal injury firm today. We will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to move forward with your life and heal.
Contact Our Experienced Toronto Personal Injury Firm
If you have been injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, you need a lawyer who truly cares about your best interests. Contact a Toronto Personal Injury Lawyer at Merricks Law Group today.