If you have sustained life-altering injuries in a car accident, it is important that you retain the services of a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury lawyer who will work to recover the compensation you require to heal. Continue reading to discover the steps you should take immediately following a car accident to protect yourself. These steps will also prepare you for filing a successful personal injury claim. Reach out to our firm for assistance in filing your claim today. We are prepared to fight for your right to compensation.
What are the most common causes of car accidents in Toronto?
The most common causes of car accidents in Toronto are as follows:
- Distracted driving
- Disregarding road signs
- Failure to yield
- Texting while driving
- Driving while under the influence
- Using a mobile device while driving
What steps should I take after being injured in a car accident?
Take the following steps after being injured in a car accident to protect yourself and your future:
- Alert the authorities. The police will document the accident by conducting a police report. They will also bring medical attention to the scene.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information including their phone number and email address.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident including damage to vehicles and property.
- Take photos of your injuries.
- Collect the other party’s insurance information. Keep this interaction short and polite. Avoid apologizing for being involved in the incident. This will avoid admitting any fault in the accident.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you deserve.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury car accident claims in Toronto?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims is typically two years in Toronto. This is important to understand because this means that you will only have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the negligent party involved in your accident. Failure to file your claim within this period of time may result in you being barred from suing. To avoid this, it is best to bring attention to your claim as soon as possible. Reach out to our experienced personal injury lawyer today to discuss our services and to learn how we can assist you in recovering the compensation you require to heal.
Contact Our Experienced Toronto Personal Injury Firm
If you have been injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, you need a lawyer who truly cares about your best interests. Contact a Toronto Personal Injury Lawyer at Merricks Law Group today.