Unfortunately, parking lot slip and fall accidents occur more often than you may expect in Toronto. If you were injured in one, it is important that you take the proper procedure to recover the financial compensation that you require to heal. Following along to learn how an experienced Toronto parking lot accident lawyer at Merricks Law Group can help make this possible.
What are the most common causes of parking lot accidents in Toronto?
Besides careless drivers, most commonly, parking lot accidents are caused by a property owner’s negligence. Some examples of hazardous parking lot conditions that can lead to serious accidents read as follows:
- Insufficient parking lot lighting.
- Potholes or uneven pavement.
- Failure to remove weather-related hazards, such as ice or snow.
- Loose debris.
- Negligent signage.
- Inadequate or negligent security.
- Failure to remove standing water or otherwise slippery liquids.
What steps should I take if I am involved in a parking lot accident?
If you are injured in a parking lot accident, it is best that you have a plan in place to satisfy the burden of proof for your personal injury claim. That is, you must prove to the court that your injuries and damages are in direct correlation to the parking lot owner’s negligence. To do so, you should consider taking these important steps:
- Call the police: they will dispatch an ambulance to the scene on your behalf, along with conducting a police report to document the accident.
- Photograph the accident: while you wait for the ambulance, if it is safe, take photos and videos of your injuries, damages, and any hazards that may have contributed to your accident.
- Collect contact information: if there were any witnesses, ask for their name, phone number, email address, and any photos and videos they may have taken.
- Seek medical attention: do so as immediately as possible, even if you do not immediately feel symptoms of an injury, as they may arise later.
- Gather any and all medical documentation and bills: these documents should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries, along with the cost of your treatment.
- Contact a skilled Toronto slip and fall lawyer: our team can help you collect further evidence to support your claim, such as surveillance footage of your accident.
What is the statute of limitations for a parking lot accident claim in Toronto?
The statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of your accident for a Toronto personal injury claim. It is best to file your parking lot accident claim as early as possible to avoid being barred from suing. Nevertheless, call to schedule your free consultation today.
Contact Our Experienced Toronto Personal Injury Firm
If you have been injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, contact a Toronto Personal Injury Lawyer at Merricks Law Group today.