Truck accidents are some of the most dangerous auto accidents. If you have been injured in a truck accident, you are likely looking to file a personal injury claim to recover compensation for your damages. To discover the steps you should take following a truck accident that will increase your chances of filing a successful claim, continue reading. If you require assistance with your upcoming claim, look no further than our experienced Toronto truck accident lawyer.
What are the most common causes of truck accidents?
The most common cause of truck accidents in Toronto is truck driver negligence. The most common forms of truck driver negligence include the following:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Driving while fatigued
- Neglecting large blind spots
Truck employers may also be responsible for truck accidents partly due to failure to ensure their drivers are conducting company affairs that may endanger the safety of others. If company employees neglect to maintain a truck or load the truck improperly, they may also be liable.
What should I do after being injured in a truck accident?
Take the following steps while you are at the scene of your truck accident:
- Alert the authorities. The police will conduct a police report to document the accident. They will also bring medical assistance to the scene.
- While you wait for medical treatment, take photos of the scene of the accident if possible, including any damage and your injuries.
- Collect the other party’s insurance information.
- If there were any witnesses to your accident, collect their contact information.
- Seek immediate medical treatment as soon as it is available to you.
- Collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment.
- Retain the services of an experienced Toronto personal injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to heal.
What is the statute of limitations for truck accidents claims in Toronto?
The statute of limitations for truck accident claims is generally two years in Toronto. This means that you will have two years from the date of your truck accident to bring attention to your claim by filing against the negligent truck driver. The sooner you are able to file your claim, the better. To get started today, reach out to our knowledgeable Toronto truck accident lawyer. Our legal team is prepared to fight for the compensation you require to heal. Give us a call today to begin this process.