Department store accidents are serious. If you were hurt in one, do not hesitate to reach out to our skilled firm today to retain the services of an experienced Toronto slip and fall lawyer.
What are the most common causes of department store accidents?
Department store accidents can be caused by a number of different reasons. In most cases, these accidents are due to negligent department store staff and management. Some of the most common instances of negligence our firm has seen include the following:
- Inadequately lit parking lots
- Merchandise falling from shelves
- Spills left unattended
- Broken glass
- Defective elevators or escalators
- Poorly placed floor mats
If you were injured as a result of any of the above negligent acts, you may be entitled to compensation for the burdens you have sustained as a result of your injury. Reach out to our skilled personal injury firm today to learn more about how we can help you recover the damages you need to heal.
What steps should I take after being injured in a department store accident?
If you were injured in a department store and would like to pursue legal action, it is critical that you take certain measures after the accident. If you are able, take the following steps to protect yourself and ensure you have the necessary tools for a successful premises liability claim:
- Inform the store owner of your accident so that they can file a report of the incident.
- Call the authorities. The police should bring medical assistance to the scene and document the accident by conducting a police report.
- As soon as medical assistance arrives, pursue immediate medical treatment.
- Gather all medical documents correlating to your treatment.
- Take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident. Also, photograph your injuries.
- Gather any witnesses’ contact information including their names, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- Hire the services of our experienced Ontario personal injury lawyer.
What is the statute of limitations for department store accidents in Toronto?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims after a department store accident is generally two years in Toronto. This means that you will have two years from the date of your accident to bring attention to your personal injury claim. It is important to understand that if you fail to file your claim within this timeframe, you could risk being barred from taking legal action. The sooner you can file, the better. To get started as soon as possible, do not hesitate to reach out to our Toronto slip and fall lawyer who will walk you through the process ahead. Our legal team is prepared to fight for your right to compensation. Give us a call to schedule your initial consultation today.