Apartment accidents can have serious physical and emotional burdens on those injured. If you were hurt in one, do not wait to reach out to our firm today to discuss the details of your case and your options. A Toronto slip and fall lawyer is on your side.
How do apartment accidents occur in Toronto?
There are a number of different ways that apartment accidents can occur, however, most of them are a result of landlord negligence. The most common causes of apartment accidents in Toronto include the following:
- Hazardous apartment sidewalks
- Failure to install carbon monoxide detectors
- Failure to ensure stairways are safe
- Failure to install smoke alarms
- Inadequately lit parking lots
- Failing to remove snow, ice, or other weather-related hazards
What steps should I take after an apartment accident?
In order to have a successful personal injury claim, you will want to take a number of steps after your apartment accident. If you are able, be sure to do the following:
- Call the authorities and seek medical treatment as soon as possible. The police will also be able to document the accident by running a police report.
- After you have been treated for your injuries, it is essential that you gather the medical documentation relating to your treatment. These documents should state the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Inform your landlord of your accident as soon as possible.
- Take plenty of photos of the hazards that led to your accident.
- Gather any witnesses’ contact information who saw your accident happen.
- Hire the services of a skilled personal injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof. They will also allow you to recover additional evidence to support your claim such as surveillance footage of your accident as it occurred.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Toronto?
Keep in mind that personal injury claims are time-sensitive. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Toronto is generally two years. This indicates that you will have two years from the date of your apartment accident to file your claim or else you risk losing the opportunity to file your claim entirely and obtain the compensation you need to heal. The sooner you bring attention to your claim, the better. To begin this process, reach out to our skilled personal injury firm today. We will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you need to move on.